Marian Sangalang, Vice President of The Bureaus, Inc., recently transitioned into her role as Past President of Receivables Management Association International (RMAI) while attending the 2020 RMAI Annual Conference in Las Vegas.
“It was a great privilege to serve as President for the last year and I thank the RMAI Board of Directors for the opportunity,” says Marian Sangalang. “I was honored to represent RMAI at various events around the world and collaborate with other organizations to keep moving our industry forward. I enjoyed working together with the membership, the RMAI staff, and my fellow board members to continue building upon the advocacy efforts, certification programs, educational offerings, and networking opportunities that are the foundation of our great organization. I look back with pride on the wonderful things that we accomplished together in the last year and look forward with excitement to working collectively with the current Board of Directors and all of the members in my new role as Past President.”
While reflecting on her term as President, Mrs. Sangalang shared a few highlights from her past year:
- Being part of the 2019 CFPB rulemaking process. Mrs. Sangalang was an integral part of pre-announcement discussions and advocacy activities. She attended the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau (CFPB) Town Hall Meeting and met Kathleen Kraninger, Director of the CFPB. She also participated in the new rulemaking process by taking part in an industry roundtable with the CFPB and other RMAI representatives.
- Participating in the Federal and State Legislative Committees. Mrs. Sangalang had the opportunity to meet with political leaders for meaningful conversations as the Legislative Committees traveled to establish and reinforce vital relationships. On Capitol Hill, she met with numerous congressional offices and pertinent government agencies. After reading about RMAI’s advocacy efforts at the government level for several years, this immersive opportunity was an extraordinary real-life experience.
- Connecting with the Membership! After becoming President, the outpouring of support from the receivables community was wonderfully overwhelming. Mrs. Sangalang attended various events throughout the year that gave her the opportunity to meet new members and build relationships with people she would not have otherwise had the opportunity to get to know.
- Presenting at the FENCA Congress 2019 in Lisbon, Portugal. This event gathers key executives from a worldwide network of credit management, debt collection, and debt purchase companies. Mrs. Sangalang was chosen to help lead the FENCA Congress Panel discussion on the effect of collections on consumers and small businesses in the United States. She thoroughly enjoyed meeting receivables professionals from around the globe as well as learning about the mechanics of the industry in different countries and bringing that knowledge back to RMAI.
- Helping to move the association forward through new ideas and events. Mrs. Sangalang was excited to assist in coordinating new networking events such as the Chicago Regional Event. She was also an integral part of the development of the Diversity and Inclusion Task Force. In her term as President, she used her platform to push for international growth and inclusion as well as the continued growth of the RMAI membership. By expanding the general membership and the certification programs, RMAI added more value to members’ businesses.
“I extend my congratulations to Mr. James Mastriani, the new RMAI President, and all of my fellow Board Directors who were selected for the 2020-2021 term,” continues Mrs. Sangalang. “I am honored to transition to my role as Past President and continue to be a part of the greater voice of the Receivables Management International Association.”
Receivables Management Association International (RMAI) is the nonprofit trade association that represents more than 500 companies that purchase or support the purchase of performing and nonperforming receivables on the secondary market. The Receivables Management Certification Program and Code of Ethics set the global standard within the receivables industry due to its rigorous uniform industry standards of best practice which focus on the protection of the consumer. RMAI provides its members with extensive networking, educational, and business development opportunities in asset classes that span numerous industries. The association continually sets the standard in the receivables management industry through its highly effective grassroots advocacy, conferences, committees, task forces, publications, webinars, and breaking news alerts. Founded in 1997 as the Debt Buyers Association, RMAI is headquartered in Sacramento, California.
About Marian Sangalang
Marian Sangalang, Vice President at The Bureaus, Inc., is a Master Servicer and Certified Receivables Compliance Professional (PRPC). She has pioneered many popular industry software suites and works closely with developers to optimize products for business use. Always at the forefront of technology, Mrs. Sangalang assists in the development of proprietary tools including account level net present value modeling and data management systems. She currently serves as Past President of RMA International. Founded in 1928, The Bureaus, Inc. is located in Northbrook, Illinois.